Ep. 11: Kai Delgado Pfeifer and Filipinx ancestral food and plant medicine
In this episode, we hear from former Truelove Seeds apprentice Kai Delgado Pfeifer in an interview from last fall 2021 when they visited our office and seed room in Philadelphia. There is also a short update from this week so we can hear the awesome things Kai is up to now and in the near future. This is the second of two back-to-back episodes featuring former apprentices, but we will certainly do more in the future.
Kai Delgado Pfeifer (they/them) is a Filipinx/Mixed European descent earth tender activating ancestral food, plant medicine, and spirituality as mediums for healing and liberation. Kai is also an educator who moves with the belief that our children are the light beings who will re-awaken our lineages of wisdom for the liberation and regeneration of our Mama Earth.
SEED STORIES TOLD IN THIS EPISODE:
- Smooth Bitter Melon
- Saluyot (Molokhia)
- Burdock Root
- Rice Beans (Tahores/Tapilan)
- Rice Peas
- Northern Adapted Pigeon Peas
- Hill Rice (South Trinidad)
MORE INFO FROM THIS EPISODE:
Interviewee: Kai Delgado Pfeifer
- Kai on Instagram:@lolas.apo
- Kinabuhi ang Pag-Kaon / Food is Life Class
Resources and organizations mentioned:
- Bahay215: Filipinx traditions in Lenapehoking
- Neal Santos: Philadelphia friend and photographer, and former co-owner of Lalo, a fast-casual Filipino food stall
- Beatrice Misa Crisostomo, Global Seed Savers
- MASIPAG: Rice and freedom in the Philippines
- Kai Farms: A permaculture farm in the Philippines
- Farm School NYC
- Amirah Mitchell's 2021 seed keeping fellowship at Greensgrow
- GMOs and their Implications on the Filipino Peoples' Food Security, Lorelei Beyer
- Article: the Philippines has become the first country to approve the commercial production of genetically modified, nutrient-enriched Golden Rice
Seeds And Their People is a radio show where we feature seed stories told by the people who truly love them. Hosted by Owen Taylor of Truelove Seeds and Chris Bolden-Newsome of Sankofa Community Farm at Bartram’s Garden.
SUPPORT OUR PATREON!
Become a monthly Patreon supporter! This will better allow us to take the time to record, edit, and share seed stories like these.
FIND OWEN HERE:
Facebook | Tumblr | Instagram | Twitter
FIND CHRIS HERE:
Sankofa Community Farm at Bartram’s Garden
- Kai Delgado Pfeifer