In November 2022, we visited Father Tom Mullaly at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Greenville, Mississippi. Chris's mother Mrs. Demalda Bolden Newsome grew up in this church, as did her family going back three generations. Chris was born and baptized there as well. Father Tom grew up on his Slovak family's farm in the summers, raising food for their winter pantry. For the past 50 years, he has been a pastor in southern Black Catholic churches, keeping gardens in community along the way. In our conversation, Chris and his mom also talk about the importance of the Black Catholic church to their family and community.
SEED STORIES TOLD IN THIS EPISODE:
MORE INFO FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church
- No-Till Intensive Vegetable Culture, by Bryan O'Hara
- Italian Garden Project
- Celebrating Saint Joseph Altars: Italian American Podcast
- Stella Natura Biodynamic Planting Calendar (one of our moon calendar references)
- Seventy Septembers, by Mary E. Best
Seeds And Their People is a radio show where we feature seed stories told by the people who truly love them. Hosted by Owen Taylor of Truelove Seeds and Chris Bolden-Newsome of Sankofa Community Farm at Bartram’s Garden.
FIND OWEN HERE:
FIND CHRIS HERE:
- Father Tom Mulally
- Demalda Bolden Newsome
- Cecilia Sweet-Coll